Tuesday, November 13, 2012

Men's Fashion Through My Eyes

I received a message from a friend last week telling me that he was upset at the fact that I never talked about men’s fashion. While I am pretty sure he was joking, considering he asked me if running short shorts were still more popular than spandex for men, he did bring up a good point. Although it isn’t as important to me, men’s fashion is still something that I take notice to. I think a lot of the same rules apply to guys as they do to girls, but there are others that guys should never ever listen to.


When I think of men’s fashion, I immediately think of the boys from One Direction, which gives me a completely unrealistic view of what guys actually dress like.  A lot of guys that I have talked to say that the boys of One Direction dress “stupidly” or “strange”, yet girls I have talked to say that they are some of the best dressed guys they have ever seen. Although I wish that all guys dressed like One Direction, I know that is a lot to ask, so I will isolate just a few of my favorites from them. One of my favorite ways that they dress is how they wear sweaters, and wear them well. From cable knit to striped, there are many kinds of sweaters, so it should be easy to find one you like. Instead of a plain t-shirt every day, switching it up with a sweater or button down is to great ways to catch a women’s eye (mine included). Another great way to change up your style is to try pants other than jeans. Now I’m not saying wear orange jeans, but khaki jeans always look good. I hope guys will at least try these tips, and if they want to dress like One Direction completely, then I am all for it.

From what I have learned, a lot of guys do not put thought in what they wear on a day to day basis. I think there a few basics all guys need, that don't even require thought when getting dressed. A plaid shirt is one of my favorite things a guy can wear. It can easily be paired with jeans, and it is a classic piece. A pair of dark wash jeans always looks good, and personally I think they look better on guys than lighter wash jeans. Like I said earlier, sweaters are a great way to switch up your clothing for a day. And the last basic I think all guys should have are V-neck t-shirts. They can be worn with anything and they are such an easy piece to throw on. Who wouldn’t want that simplicity?

Now for the things guys should not wear. My number one thing that guys should not wear every day is sweatpants. I think they are a little more acceptable on guys than on girls, but that doesn’t mean I like them. The same goes for basketball shorts, which I like even less on a guy unless he is actually playing basketball/ When a man’s pants are too tight, I feel so uncomfortable. I am pretty sure that when guys wear skin tight pants they are not comfortable, and the same goes for all the people who have to see them. Nobody looks good with camel toe and I get creeped out even thinking about it. Skin tight t-shirts have the same rules applied.

Since I am a girl of fashion, I always find the guys dressed nicely more attractive. I wish all guys would wear blazers and bow ties, but I guess I will just have to save that for my dreams. I hope for the guys that actually read this, that you take some of my advice and put it to use. As for the girls, remember some of the tips, and spread them to all your guy friends.

Fashionately,
Sarah


PS. To guys who actually want to catch a fashion girl’s eye, try dressing like One Direction, Zac Efron, Andrew Garfield, Josh Bowman, or any J Crew model. Please?

3 comments:

  1. Also pairing those tall black socks with their basketball shorts are gross. I am also a fan of khaki jeans (and One Direction's style) ;).

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do not care for guys wearing athletic shoes for any reason but athletics. I am not a fan of the jean and sneaker look, unless you are a young guy and the sneakers are colorful converse.

    However, running shoes and the variations don't belong with your everyday clothes; it looks sloppy, lazy, and blue collar. Invest in some good leather casual shoes, guys! We females pay attention to shoes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't even think about bringing up the shoes, but a great point! I agree that athletics are only for athletics.

      Delete